The school has a very vibrant Ph.D programme with more than 70 students registered currently, both Indian and foreign nationals. Ph.D. programme is offered on full time, part time and external registration basis as per the university regulations. Candidates who have the required qualifications and are doing teaching/research in recognized institutions or researchers from companies registered with STPI/NASSCOM/Central Government Organizations who operate within the jurisdiction of the University can apply for part time admission subject to the availability of seats under this category. Interested candidates are advised to study the areas of research from the school and faculty profiles.
Minimum Qualification for Admission:
- Note : There are part-time seats avaiable during academic year 2017-18..
- Quantitative Methods: Data preprocessing, graph plotting, plotting functions and data, statistical data analysis.
- Research: Technical Comprehension, Meaning, characteristics and types of research; Steps of research; Methods of research; Research Ethics.
- Aptitude and Reasoning: Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, Data Interpretation.
- Computer Applications: Flow Charts, Problem Solving. PART B: Computer Science:
- Computer Organization, Computer Programming, Discrete Mathematics, Data Structures, Algorithms, Operating Systems, Database Management Systems, Graph Theory, Computer Networks, and Automata.
- Students residing in India and who have taken prior qualifying education in India have to appear for the interview with all required supporting documents.
- Both GRE and TOFEL/ELTS scores are to be submitted at the time of admission.
First Class Masterís Degree in any Engineering/Technology; OR M.Phil. in Mathematics or Statistics or Electronics; OR Masterís degree in Computer Applications / Computer Science / Mathematics / Statistics / Electronics / Information Systems / Internet Technology / Geoinformatics / Bioinformatics OR First class degree in BE/B.Tech.; with minimum of 60% marks in the above stated qualifying degrees.
Admission Process :
Please refer to appropriate section in the University prospectus about UGC Regulations 2016.Written Test Format & Syllabus:
The entrance exam will consist of only objective type questions. 50% of questions shall be from Research Methodology and the other 50% shall pertain to the concerned subject. The paper shall have two parts, Part A and Part B. The following syllabus is proposed for the PhD entrance examination.PART A: Research Methodology:
The written test is for a total of 80 marks and both Part A (40 questions) and Part B (40 questions) will have equal weightages.
The number of candidates called for interview is six times the available seats. Candidates must indicate their research interest at the time of the interview. All candidates must come prepared with a tentative research plan write-up of maximum size of 4 pages and are encouraged to submit details of research papers/technical reports they have authored. .
Foreign nationals seeking admission in PhD programme should have the required basic qualifications. Candidates must demonstrate their ability to communicate in English. Following are the guidelines for admission to PhD. Foreign students are required to submit past academic records, three reference letters, and a statement of purpose on the research topic of their interest. They must have good ability to communicate in English. In order to support the claim for admission into PhD, the following guidelines are stipulated.
- UoH fellowship for @ Rs. 8000/-p.m. for a period of 3 years (funded by UGC). This is extendable by one more year in exceptional cases with specific and tangible justification from the Supervisor/Doctoral committee.
- Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme of MHRD: Fellowship of Rs 31,500 p.m. (I&II Yr); Rs 35,000 p.m. (III - V Yr) w.e.f. from 1st September 2015.There are other benefits like: Contingency, ROR etc.
- AICTE Minor QIP Centre:The candidates admitted for the regular Ph.D. degree programme under QIP will receive a sum of Rs. 15,000 per month as Living Expenditure allowance and a contingency grant of Rs.15, 000 per annum for three years.
- IDRBT Fellowship will carry monthly stipend of Rs.25,000 (for 1st and 2nd year) and Rs.28,000 (for 3rd, 4th and 5th years), subject to revision from time to time. There are other benefits like contingency, travel etc.
- Zen Fellowship is Rs. 20,000/- per month, Rs.22,500/- per month, Rs.25,000/- per month, Rs 27,500/- per month, and Rs 30,000/- per month during the first, second, third, fourth and fifth year respectively
- UGC JRF fellowship of Rs. 16,000/- p.m. for the first two years (JRF) and Rs.18,000/- p.m. for the subsequent years (SRF) subject to approval of up gradation by the UGC. Maximum period is 5 years
- UGC Basic Science Research (BSR) Fellowship is for maximum of 5 years For GATE/NET Qualified candidates: JRF @ 24,800/-pm for 2years, SRF@ Rs. 27,900 pm for remaining period For others: JRF @ Rs. 21,700/- for 2 years and SRF @ Rs. 24,800/- pm for remaining period. NOTE: Other benefits are HRA, Medical, Contingency etc
- RGNF: (sponsored by the Ministry of Social Justice for SC/ST candidates to pursue M.Phil and Ph.D. Degrees): The SC/ST Scholars enrolled for Ph.D. and M.Phil programmes in the University have to apply for this Fellowship as and when the University Grants Commission issues the notification. The value of fellowship is Rs. 16,000/- p.m. for the first two years (JRF) and the value of fellowship is Rs. 18,000/- p.m. for the subsequent years (SRF) subject to approval of up gradation by the UGC.